The Detroit Diesel Corporation, founded in 1937 by General Motors, was originally known as the “Detroit Diesel Engine Division.” Their first product was the Series 71 engine. The 8.2L Detroit Diesel Engine, also known as the “Fuel Pincher,” was introduced in the 1980s. It was mainly found in the GMC B-series line of commercial and school buses.
The 8.2-liter “Fuel Pincher” was the first four-cycle engine that Detroit Diesel introduced on the market. The initial engine released had some issues on the operational side. Its head torque was not properly achieved because of its small head bolts, and the engine block was made using an open block deck that created problems with its head gaskets during overheating.